There is no arguing the fact that technology has changed the whole landscape of business. First the Internet, then Mobility / Cloud, and now the Internet of Things. Even for an entrepreneur like me, it has had a deep impact on my business. I have owned a retail outlet for a while now and have always sought ways to enhance the in-store shopping experience for my customers. I tried many options but nothing really worked for me. I realized that, day by day, my revenues and sales were falling and if this situation continued, I would have little choice but to shutter my operation.
I shared my concerns with one of my friends who advised me to look into Proximity Marketing using Bluetooth beacon technology. I never heard of it before so I asked him if he could explain this solution to me. He described Proximity Marketing as a solution in which one deploys beacons within a location (e.g. my store) and the beacons send notifications to smartphones.
These notifications can send consumers relevant offers and promote the latest deals. The solution can also be used to:
• locate items within the store to enhance the in-store shopping experience
• increase revenue per square feet
• provide opportunities for impulse purchases
• move slow selling merchandise to achieve faster inventory turnover.
These were all critical metrics to a retailer like myself and sounded like music to my ears.
I became very excited because I knew that I had found a marketing tool that could provide me with a significant competitive advantage. So the next decision I had to make was finding a vendor whose platform best fit my needs. In that vein, I began compiling a set of feature set comparison points and came up with a shortlist of must-haves. These included:
• A software as a service platform (SAAS) that I didn’t have to invest heavily in hardware and infrastructure
• A platform that provided all the necessary beacon and sensor technologies needed for my establishment
• An easy to administer administration panel for me to manage my campaigns and notifications
• A simple mobile experience for my customers that would engage them and keep them coming back
• Analytics/reporting to analyze which campaigns worked and which ones did not work
• Advanced features I could add as my business expanded
I ordered various toolkits to experiment with and found the Netobjex platform to be the most capable and mature solution for my business. Proximity Marketing is definitely the tool I needed for my in-store marketing solution as well as a means to attract walk-in clientele into my store. IoT technology has a lot to offer and I am looking forward to expanding my Proximity Marketing campaigns through the use of more advanced capabilities such as beacons and sensors. Can’t wait to get started on that next!IoT Platform, IoT Registry, IoT Search Engine